Public notice is hereby given pursuant to S.95A Resource Management Act 1991 that the following application for resource consent has been received by Environment Southland.
Woldwide One Limited, Heddon Bush
Land Use Consent to increase cow numbers. This is a discretionary activity under Rule 22(a) of the proposed Southland Land and Water Plan.
Discharge Permit to discharge dairy shed and wintering barn effluent to land from up to 800 cows by travelling irrigator. The proposal is a discretionary activity under Rule 35(c) of the proposed Southland Water and Land Plan.
Water Permit to take up to 91,000 litres per day of groundwater from a bore in the Waimatuku Groundwater Zone. The proposal is a discretionary activity under Rule 54(d) of the proposed Southland Water and Land Plan.
Purpose: Dairy Farming Operation
Location: 1200 Hundred Line Road East, Heddon Bush at about NZTM2000 1225175E 4888760N.
Legal Description of Property: Lot 4 DP 399915, Parts Lot 18 DP 942, Lot 1 DP 10885, and Section 420 Taringatura Survey District.
Reasons for public notification: The Council must publicly notify an application if the activity will have or is likely to have adverse effects on the environment that are more than minor. It has not been demonstrated in this application or further information provided, whether the proposal would result in adverse effects on the environment that are minor or less than minor. This recommendation is made for the following key reasons:
- Environmental effects: The proposed operation has been modelled using Overseer, and this has shown that the proposal is likely to have greater effects on groundwater quality when compared to modelling of the current operation.
- Receiving environment: Council's groundwater monitoring data shows that nitrate concentrations are elevated in this area.
- Good management practises and mitigation measures: The application describes some good management practises and mitigation measures undertaken on farm, however these will not fully mitigate the potential adverse effects on water quality.
- Policy 15 of the proposed Southland Water and Land Plan which directs that water quality is to be maintained or improved, nor Policy 16. 1. (b), which strongly discourages applications to further intensify existing dairy farming where the effects on water quality, including cumulatively, cannot be avoided or fully mitigated, or in areas where water quality is already degraded to the point of being over allocated.
Address for Service: Dairy Green Ltd, C/- Nicole Matheson, Aqualinc Research Ltd, PO Box 20462, Bishopdale, Christchurch 8543.
Full details of this application are also available for inspection at Environment Southland, corner of Price Street and North Road, Waikiwi, Invercargill during working hours (8.00 am to 5.00 pm). Enquiries may be directed to Alexandra King by phone to (03) 211 5115 or by email to email@example.com.
Submissions on the above application must be received by Environment Southland no later than 5 pm Monday, 22 January 2018. A submission form is available for download below. Submissions may also be forwarded by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
Any person may make a submission on the application, but a person who is a trade competitor of the applicant may do so only if that person is directly affected by an effect of the activity to which the application relates that:
(a) adversely affects the environment; and
(b) does not relate to trade competition or the effects of trade competition.
Submissions must be dated and signed (unless submitted electronically) and must include the following information:
- your name, postal address and telephone number (and fax number if applicable);
- details of the application in respect of which you are making the submission;
- whether it is in support of, or in opposition to the application, or is neutral;
- your submissions, with reasons;
- the decision that you wish Council to make; and
- whether you wish to be heard in support of your submission
and you must also serve a copy of your submission on the applicant as soon as reasonably practicable.
Application and Assessment of Environmental Effects
Further Information Provided 2017 11 16
Farm Environment Management Plan 2017 11 23
Overseer budgets are available on request, please contact Alexandra King by email to firstname.lastname@example.org for a copy.