Riverbed Vegetation Control Programme 2020/21 Southland Rivers
Adjacent property owners and other users of the river channels listed are advised that helicopter and ground based spraying is to be carried out within the flood fairways of these rivers. This is to control vegetation which may affect the passage of flood water.
Plants targeted throughout the programme are gorse, broom and self sown willow.
The aerialwork required on each channel should take 3-5 days to complete if the weather is suitable. The work may commence from October onwards depending on weather conditions and should be finished by the end of February 2021. The ground based work is ongoing throughout the year.
The river channels involved are:
- Mataura River and tributaries.
- Oreti River and tributaries.
- Aparima River and tributaries.
- Waiau River and tributaries.
- Mararoa River from the weir to the Kiwi Burn.
- Whitestone River from the Mararoa confluence to Bushy Point.
- Upukerora River from the lake confluence to the top end of Coal Pit Flat.
- Waihopai, Otepuni & Kingswell Channels within Invercargill City boundaries.
- Makarewa River and tributaries.
- Waikawa River and tributaries.
There will be a break in the programme over the Christmas period between 24 December 2020and4 January 2021.
For further information regarding the programme, please contact Paul Pollard at Environment Southland during office hours, phone toll free on 0800 768845 or 211-5115 within the Invercargill area.