Nominations for candidates were open from Friday 19 July 2019
to noon, Friday 16 August 2019
A preliminary list of candidates can be found on our Candidates page.
To be eligible to stand for election, a candidate must
- a New Zealand citizen (by birth or naturalisation ceremony); and
- enrolled as a Parliamentary elector (anywhere in New Zealand); and
- nominated by two electors whose names appear on the electoral roll within the respective area that a candidate is standing for.
Please note that nomination papers cannot be accepted at Environment Southland offices, as the elections are being undertaken by the electoral officers of the region's constituent territorial authorities as a shared service.
- completing the appropriate form at any post shop;
- phoning 0800 ENROLNOW (0800 367 656)
- accessing the Electoral Commission website on www.elections.org.nz
|19 July||Electoral roll open for inspection|
|19 July||Candidate nominations open|
|16 August (12 noon)||Candidate nominations close and electoral roll closes|
|21 August||Public notice of candidates’ names|
|20 – 25 September||Voting documents delivered|
|16 Sept – 8 October||Special voting period|
|20 Sept – 12 October||Scrutiny and early processing|
|12 October||Voting closes 12 noon|
|12 (pm) - 17 October||Official count|
|17 – 23 October||Declaration of results|
|29 October||Councillor swearing-in ceremony|
|mid-December||Return of electoral donations & expenses form|
- Gore District Council, 29 Civic Avenue, Gore;
- Invercargill City Council, 101 Esk Street, Invercargill;
- Southland District Council, 15 Forth Street, Invercargill.
To be counted, all completed voting documents must be in the hands of the respective electoral officer or an electoral official by noon Saturday 12 October 2019
For further information regarding this election, please contact the electoral office:
Dale Ofsoske, Electoral Officer
C/o PO Box 5135, Wellesley Street, Auckland 1141
Phone: 0800 922 822