Compliance forms

The forms, brochures and factsheets below should be able to answer many of your consent or compliance questions. However, if you haven’t found what you’re looking for please use the search function, or contact us.

Bore construction

 Bore construction report

Coastal permits

Form - Commercial Surface Water Activity Log (PDF, 22.4KB)


Plantation forestry operators are required to submit written notices and plans for afforestation, earthworks, river crossings, forest quarrying, harvesting, replanting wilding species and slash traps. Read more here.

Written Notice - NES-PF (PDF, 414KB)

Water permits

The abstraction of fresh water in New Zealand is managed under the Resource Management Act 1991 to protect the environment.  Water users generally have to apply for resource consents to take fresh water from its source.  As part of the consent the volume of water abstracted must be recorded.  This water take data is critical for Environment Southland to manage the fresh water resource in Southland effectively.  This includes making efficient use of allocated water, managing groups of water users, monitoring compliance as well as understanding our water resources and ecosystem responses allowing us to plan for the future.

In November 2010 the Resource Management Regulations 2010 (Measurement and Reporting of Water Takes) came into effect.  These apply to water permits taking 5 litres per second or more. This means that Environment Southland will be reviewing how water take data is collected and reported and may mean changes to existing consents.



Page reviewed: 05 Mar 2019 10:06am