Southland was colonised relatively early in New Zealand's history and has undergone a dramatic change in vegetation cover over the past 150 years. Download theLand Use Change - Agriculture factsheet to read more about this change.
Poor water quality in lowland streams and rivers in Southland has been linked to the rapid intensification of land use. Scientific studies have shown that soil and water quality is strongly linked to land use and land management practices. Download theLand Use Change - Environmental Impacts factsheet to read more about this linkage.
Southland is home to a diverse range of habitat types, ranging from forests to wetlands. However, what we see today is just a fraction of what once covered Southland. Download theLand Use Change - Indigenous Vegetation factsheet to learn more.
- Report - Assessment of Farm Mitigation Options and Land Use Change on Catchment Nutrient Contamination Loads in the Southland Region - March 2014 (PDF, 892.5KB)
- Report - Contribution of on-site wastewater disposal to cumulative regional nutrient loadings - July 2014 (PDF, 1.9MB)
- Report - Environmental Effects of Activities within the Riparian Zone (PDF, 1.4MB)
- Report - Factors Affecting Contaminant Loss in Overland Flow (PDF, 1.1MB)
- Report - Nitrogen, Phosphorus and Sediment losses from rural land uses in Southland - August 2013 (PDF, 808.4KB)
- Report - Overseer Comparison Wintering Report -September 2013 (PDF, 347.5KB)
- Report - Seasonality Report - 2014 (PDF, 1.9MB)
- Report - Seasonality Report - Appendix 1 (PDF, 227.2KB)
- Report - Seasonality Report - Appendix 2 (PDF, 335.4KB)
- Report - Soil Quality and Stability Programme for Southland (PDF, 1.1MB)
- Report - Spatial analysis of winter forage cropping in Southland and the implications for water quality management(PDF, 3.6MB)
- Report - The impacts of animal wintering on water and Soil Quality (PDF, 3.6MB)
- Report - The Influence of Soil Drainage Characteristics on contaminant leakage risk associated with the land application of dairy effluent - 2009 (PDF, 1MB)
- Report - Winter Livestock Forage Map - Southland Region - 2014 (PDF, 4.5MB)