Public notice is hereby given pursuant to S.95A Resource Management Act 1991 that the following application for resource consent has been received by Environment Southland.
Southland District Council, Tokanui (Application APP-20181129)
Discharge Permit: To discharge a maximum annual average of 55 m3/day of treated wastewater to land and to water (to groundwater and into the Tokanui River)
Land Use Consent: To use land for the construction of an effluent storage facility (an infiltration trench). The proposal is a non-complying activity.
Purpose: Disposal of wastewater from the Tokanui township sewage system
Location: 11B McEwan Street, Tokanui. The outfall to the Tokanui River is on the north side of the river, about 340 metres southwest of McEwan Street, Tokanui, and about 230 metres north of Tokanui Gorge Road Highway, at about 1,288,773E 4,835,204N NZTM
Legal Description of Property: Lot 1 DP 8315 and Part Section 5 Block X Toetoes SD
Address for Service of Applicant: Stantec New Zealand, PO Box 13052, Christchurch 8024. Attn: Janan Dunning.
Reasons for public notification:
Environment Southland has publicly notified the application because:
- the discharge to the river will have more than minor effect on cultural and spiritual values for tangata whenua;
- the discharge of 10 m3/day of sewage into the ground creates a special circumstance that warrants notification, because it is inconsistent with requirements for agricultural effluent ponds; and
- the calculated water quality effects after reasonable mixing are inconsistent with council policy.
Full details of this application are available for inspection at Environment Southland, corner of Price Street and North Road, Waikiwi, Invercargill during working hours (8.00 am to 5.00 pm), or below. Enquiries may be directed to Stephen West by phone to (03) 211 5115 or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Any person may make a submission on the application, but a person who is a trade competitor of the applicant may do so only if that person is directly affected by an effect of the activity to which the application relates that—
(a) adversely affects the environment; and
(b) does not relate to trade competition or the effects of trade competition.
If you wish to make a submission on the above application you may do so by returning a written submission to Environment Southland. Submissions may also be forwarded by email to email@example.com.
The submission must be dated and signed (unless forwarded electronically) and must include the following information:
1. your name, postal address and telephone number (and contact email, if applicable);
2. details of the application in respect of which you are making the submission;
3. whether is in support of, or in opposition to the application, or is neutral;
4. your submission, with reasons;
5. the decision that you wish the Council to make; and
6. whether you wish to be heard in support of your submission.
A submission form is available below:
Submissions on the above application must be received by Environment Southland no later than 5pm on 18 April 2018
You must serve a copy of your submission on the applicant, at the 'address for service' shown above, as soon as is reasonably practicable after serving your submission on Environment Southland.
Applicant Evidence - Bevan McKenzie APP-20181129
Applicant Evidence - Brydon Hughes APP-20181129
Applicant Evidence - Further attachment Brydon Hughes Physiographic Assessment APP-20181129
Applicant Evidence - Janan Dunning APP-20181129
Applicant Evidence - Rainer Hoffmann APP-20181129
Applicant Evidence - Sue Bennett APP-20181129
Application Southland District Council - Part 1 of 2
Application Southland District Council - Part 2 of 2
Minute 1 - Timeframe extension
Minute 2 - Directions on evidence and pre-circulation