This policy applies to (Environment Southland) the Southland Regional Council whenever we collect personal information from you.
- how and why we collect personal information;
- when we might use and disclose personal information to other people;
- how that information is stored;
- how you can access and correct that information.
Collecting personal information
We collect your personal information in order to fulfil the legislative requirements of our business and to provide other services to you. We may collect the personal information about you, including (but not limited to) the following:
- contact information (including, but not limited to, your phone number, physical address, postal address and email address)
- metadata obtained through your use of our website, including your IP address, computer and connection information, referring web page, standard web log information, language settings, and timezone
- computer or network details
- interactions and communications with us either directly, via phone or email
- information obtained by or submitted to us from you through your use (or prospective use) of our website, including information and documents submitted by you, your GPS position, pages viewed, buttons clicked, viewing time, keyboard searches
- billing, purchase information, or payment information (such as your credit or debit card details
The Council may receive information about you through our website, applications, communication systems, or other communication.
We may also receive information about you from third parties, including public sources.
Use of personal information
We use personal information we collect about you for purposes authorised by you and or permitted by New Zealand legislation, including (but not limited to) the following:
- Privacy Act 2020;
- Local Government Act 2002;
- Resource Management Act 1991 (RMA); and
- Local Government Official Information and Meetings Act 1987 (LGOIMA).
Information held in relation to newsletter subscriptions
We provide email subscription options for updates on various topics. Subscription to email updates is optional, and users can unsubscribe at any time.
Making information public
The Council is required by law to make certain information that it holds available to third parties and/or the public (including on our website). Your information may be used and/or disclosed in accordance with the provisions of any of the Council’s statutory requirements.
- The LGOIMA sets out the Council’s obligations in relation to official information held by us. Official information, which may include personal information, may be disclosed in accordance with the terms of that legislation.
- The RMA requires the Council to make copies of resource consent applications publicly available.
- Submissions on certain matters under the RMA (including, but not limited to, submissions on consents, proposed plans or plan changes) are also made publicly available.
There are limited circumstances when your personal information can be kept confidential, even where the above applies. If you consider you have compelling reasons why your personal information should be kept confidential, please contact us.
Storage of personal information
The Council takes all reasonable steps to ensure your personal information is safe from loss, unauthorised use, modification, disclosure, and any other misuse.
All information is stored electronically (requiring logins and passwords) or physically (in secured premises). Only authorised persons are permitted to access your personal information.
We will use, disclose or retain your personal information for as long as necessary to fulfil the purpose for which it was collected and as otherwise permitted or required by law.
In the event of a privacy breach, we have procedures for notifying the Privacy Commissioner and the individual affected, including setting out the reasonable steps we have taken to mitigate the effects of a privacy breach, should we be required to do so under law.
Access to your personal information we hold
You have the right to ask for a copy of any personal information we hold about you, and to ask for it to be corrected if you think it is wrong. If you'd like to ask for a copy of your information, or have it corrected, please contact us at email@example.com, or 0800 76 88 45 or write to:
The Privacy Officer
Private Bag 90116
You can also use the Privacy Commissioner's online tool AboutMe to ask about your personal information we hold.
If you are concerned that we may have breached the Privacy Act or if you are not sure of our obligations, you can call the Privacy Commissioner's Privacy Hotline: 0800 803 909.
Improving this website
When you use the online feedback form, the enquiries are stored and analysed for the purposes of improving this website.
We also collect statistical information about your visit to help improve the site. This information is aggregated and doesn't identify you personally. It includes:
- your IP address;
- the search terms you used;
- the pages you accessed on this website and the links you clicked on;
- the date and time you visited the website;
- the referring site (if any) through which you clicked through to this site;
- your operating system (e.g. Windows, Mac, Android);
- the type of web browser you use (e.g. Internet Explorer, Chrome, Mozilla Firefox);
- other things like your screen resolution and the language setting of your browser.
This site generates persistent session cookies for the purpose of monitoring site usage. The cookies don't collect personal information. You can disable them or clear them out of your web browser without affecting your ability to use the site.